I read a great post from Peter Cooper (Microsoft IoT Marketing) titled "5 internal capabilities to help you increase IoT success". Here's a quick TL;DR summary, but click through to the full article as well, its a good read!
Capability #1: Create an enterprise data strategy
- Identify where you have data today you could be using.
- Identify the data you need to enhance the data you already have.
- Identify the gaps in your data to support your business goals and put a plan in place to get it.
Capability #2: Balance structure and flexibility to exploit new opportunities
- Initially, IoT will help you better manager existing problems and businesses more effectively.
- Long term, you need to adapt your business and your organizational structure to leverage IoT to create new businesses opportunities.
Capability #3: Develop specialized talent
- The skills needed range across from business leaders with technical acumen, technology leaders who embrace agility, and programmers and analysts who cover analytics, operations, hardware sensors, backend services and security.
- Training existing staff, on Azure IoT of course
- Hiring can be difficult in a competitive recruiting environment
Partnering is also an excellent path to unlocking IoT in your business. Reach out to PHIXED to discuss how we can help.
Capability #4: Harden and evolve security
- Ongoing Security is an additional consideration when building out your IoT Solutions
- Azure IoT [especially serverless] helps considerably manage the software stack as well with downstream device management.
Capability #5: Continually consider consumer expectations
- IoT can be used to provide considerable value to business and to customers.
- Customer value needs to be weighed against customers' perception, especially where personalization and location are implemented.
- Asking only for the customer data you need to provide value and asking for more when more value can be offered is better than a collect-all and sort it out later approach.
As Peter discusses in his excellent piece highlighting Steelcase's Smart + Connected offerings, there are a lot of moving pieces to IoT and a lot of organizational challenges as well.
PHIXED can help you with the IoT technology and create a safe place for the organizational evolution required. Reach out to discuss IoT in your business. firstname.lastname@example.org